Saturday, March 6, 2010

better safe than sorry

Last weekend I had a night out on the town with some (straight) friends. We had good times, good drinks, good laughs, and good conversation. One convo revolved around the discussion of a previous night out.

On this night a friend and I were out drinking and dancing with some of her friends when a group of (very nice) men came in celebrating a 21st birthday. My friend is very outgoing so of course we ended up talking to them, buying the birthday boy some drinks, just having a good time. Well, the birthday boy decided to take a liking to me even though it was mentioned that I had a "significant other", we danced and talked and when it was obvious that he was going to continue to hit on me I made my way to having a conversation elsewhere.

Back to last weekend, I was asked why I didn't just tell the birthday boy that I was a big lesbian. I responded very seriously that I didn't want myself or anyone else getting physically hurt. My friends thought this was ridiculous and there would be no way someone would freak out about someone being gay so much they would become violent.  I disagree. I currently live in the south where the gays aren't super loved (one can be fired based on sexual orientation in this state with no legal repercussions), and although I live in a "city" which is more likely to be liberal than a rural community and a college town, I still do not think it's safe to tell a complete stranger that I'm gay, especially in a drinking environment.

You just never know how people may react. Just this past New Year's in Buffalo, NY a woman was stabbed in the eye outside a gay club while her and her friends were called horrible names. And that was in a city in a liberal state.

Do you think I'm being too cautious? I'm sure in some occasions I would maybe feel comfortable telling a stranger this information, but if I'm not comfortable, why should I risk it? I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment